Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Last Day......

Tomorrow, May 2, 2013 is my last day teaching in Wapello.  Friday I have my pre-op appointment and Tuesday is my surgery.  Tuesday starts a new chapter of my life.

But tomorrow ends a chapter of my life and that makes me sad.

I absolutely love all of my students.  I could not have more fun every day at work with them.  They make every day so exciting and so much fun.

Thinking about tomorrow is making me cry, knowing that I have to say goodbye, that I will no longer be their teacher.  Knowing that I will no longer get to have them a part of my everyday life.

Yes, I still live here and I will see them at games, at events, downtown.  But that simply isn't the same as getting to interact with them every single day and knowing how things are going in their lives.

A group of 6th grade girls have become my constant companions in the mornings before school in my "happy spot" in the entryway.  I've become their fashion consultant (scary thought), the one who checks their hair to make sure it's perfect, the one they whine too when their boyfriend is being dumb.  They tell me about their new Miss Me jeans and are still trying to convince me that they are awesome and worth the over $100 for one pair.  I assure them that there is no way in the world I will ever pay that much for ONE pair of jeans.  For the price of them I could get THREE pair of "normal" jeans.  And honestly, do I really want everyone looking at my butt?  That makes them laugh, laugh, laugh.  They assure me that people aren't looking at your butt, they are looking at the pockets.  Excuse me - the pockets are on the butt!  So people are looking at your butt!  They laugh and shake their heads and simply cannot figure this old lady out!

My Kindergarteners today were so excited for me to find my "surprise" ...  since I had not been to my classroom when they asked I said I had not gotten any surprise.  Well, when I did get to my classroom I found a May Basket hanging on my doorknob.  What fun!!  When I saw them later I thanked them and thanked them for the "surprise" on my doorknob!  That made their day.

Because I know myself and the fact that I cry all the time at a drop of a hat, I scheduled my last day with each classroom to be their reward day for the hard work they did on the spring programs.  The kids voted for a PE day, meaning that we meet with the PE class and play class vs. class.  I was cool with this vote because it would put us in an environment of fun and games and competition rather than me having to say goodbye.  I would be a mess if I had to spend time just saying goodbye.  So we end on a fun note and all is well with the world.

I got to spend the whole day yesterday with the 4th grade on their field trip to the Herbert Hoover Museum and Library.  That was fun and very informational.  Plus I got to sit and eat with a group of girls and compare lunches!  :-)  One girl, I think her parents thought we were going to be gone for 2 days.  She had so much food!

It is going to be a weird May, not going to work.  I know that I will be recovering from surgery and adjusting to my new life, but I will miss those darn kids.  I'm looking forward to visiting during lunch some day and of course going to the awards ceremony on the last day.

It's weird that MY last day isn't the last day of school.  It's an end, but not an end...so kind of up in the air.  I'm hoping to spend May and my recovery getting back to the scrapbooks that I have neglected for the past 2 years.  I want to try to get them at least a little closer to up to date...like Matthew should at least be born in Maggie's books!

So I go to bed tonight with a sad, but excited heart.  Ending one chapter, but anxious to turn the page and start the next one and move on.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when you left Isabel. We were both crying!!! I would love to play hookie from work and come scrapbook through your recovery with you :)

    ReplyDelete