Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hold me Accountable

So, Tuesday, June 4 will mark 4 weeks.

What has been happening since I was 1 week out?

I am exhausted all the time.  Someone recently told me that drinking my water will help with my tiredness.  So starting tomorrow I am renewing me devotion to getting more water.

I feel like I am constantly drinking....and since my food is also liquid right now - UGH - I am sick and tired of drinking.

After I last wrote I have had some troubles.  The double milks that I am supposed to drink 3 times a day to ensure enough protein....they make me sick.

I tried for like 3 days.  Each time I had some excuse for why it made me sick....overly tired, too late at night, drank it too fast, etc.   But I finally emailed the dietitian and she said my symptoms sound like lactose intolerance.

Swell.  So to the store to get some lactose free milk.  Ha ha ha - not in Wapello.  There is no lactose free milk to be found in our town.  And believe me, Mike tried all possible places to buy milk!  Luckily, a friend who works in Muscatine saw my facebook post and stopped and got some Lactaid for me.

Hurrah - I was back on track.  Nope - same exact reaction with the Lactaid as with normal milk.

So I waited a day and tried plain old milk.  Nummy, tasted great and went down fine, no side effects.

End result - it must be the dry milk mix since that was the only constant!

NOW how do I get the protein I need?  I email the dietitian again.  She suggests I drink 6 milks a day.

WAIT - hold the train.  I would have to drink 6 glasses of milk as well as 6 glasses of water a day?  I was having enough trouble getting in 6 waters and 3 milks.  NO WAY.

There was one more option, Carnation INstant Breakfast, no sugar added.  Add that to milk.  Eeew, not my favorite thing in the world, but I was doing it once a day anyway and getting it down.

I finally gave in and bought some protein powder a friend who did this surgery last July recommended.  She says it really is flavorless and she adds it to her broth.  The University of Iowa program does NOT want us using protein powders.  The reasoning is it adds extra calories that are un-needed.

My rationale - the dry milk powder was 80 calories, the protein powder is 110.  OK - so it's 30 extra - and twice a day it's 60 extra.  BUT....my "food" is like 30 calories or 80 calories, so at this stage I think I can afford the extra 60 calories.  So...rebel me...I went against the rules and bought the protein powder.

The day after I ordered it I had a revelation.  Last year I tried Body By Vi shakes for weight loss.  I really enjoyed them.  Found recipes I liked and drank a shake every day for breakfast and lunch.  I wondered how many grams of protein was in that because I knew it was 90 calories.

Well shoot - there is more protein in the Body By Vi than her darn dry milk mix!!!  AND, it tastes good and doesn't make me sick.

So for the last two days I've been drinking my Body By Vi shakes.  And the best part...it only takes TWO get get all my protein instead of 3!!!  Woo hoo, one less thing to drink!!!

Now, my frustration is my weight has already plateaued.  I am not even a month out and I have not lost anything in the last 2 weeks.

When I went to the doctor I was down 10 pounds already after only 6 days.  That was Monday.  Friday that week I was down another 8.  By the next Friday I had lost a whole 2 more pounds.  And now today - same weight as last week.

The first week when I only lost 2 pounds I had decided that it was because I had my period and the water weight and such associated with that.  So I was hoping/expecting this last week to pick back up.

Nope - seriously, exactly the same weight as last week....276.4

I am down 20.6 pounds since surgery.  Unfortuantely, the majority of that was within 10 days and now...nothing.

No, I am not cheating and eating stuff.  I'm not hungry.  I force myself to eat the 3 meals a day because I am supposed to, I need the calories and such.  Mike gets me out walking becasue I am supposed to.  (currently that's really the only exercise I am supposed to do - walk, walk, walk)  But it has been tough this week - we seem to be living in a tropical rain forest right now!  Rain rain and more rain.

So, I still am not good about getting enough water and getting walking enough.  I have pledged to myself - and am putting it on public record by writing it here - starting tomorrow I am GOING to drink 6 glasses of water every day and I am GOING to walk at least 30 minutes a day, but try for 45 minutes.

Any of you who see me are free to ask me if I am drinking and walking enough.  Hold me accountable because evidently I need a slap upside the head.

I see the doctor next Friday, June 7 - exactly 1 month post surgery.  I would REALLY like to be down some more pounds and be able to say I am drinking everything I am supposed to drink.  And I would REALLY like to not be tired all the time!

If anyone in the Wapello area feels like a walk - stop by I'd love to go walking and chatting.  Mind you - I'm not the fastest walker in the world still.  So if you are a power walker - probably better give me some more time before I can keep up with you!  But if you are okay with my pace and want to walk - stop on by, give me a call, send me a message  I'd love the company and people willing to help hold me accountable!


1 comment:

  1. I nearly forgot...the huge bruise on my arm from the last blog...it is not totally gone yet!!!

    ReplyDelete