Monday, April 15, 2013

Date is Set

I was going to write a blog today entitled "I want to be a Patient, not have Patience" - because I was getting frustrated waiting to hear a date for my surgery.

Then, today I got an email with my surgery date!!!

Tuesday, May 7 is the day my new life begins.  I go in on Friday, May 3 for my pre-op visit and preparation information for the surgery.

I am SO excited!!!

For the 2 weeks prior to surgery I have to "prepare" my intestines and they want me to cut as much weight during that time as possible.  So I start a special pre-op diet on Tuesday, April 23.

They want my small intestines to be basically empty without having to do any bowel prep or enema.  (for this I am thankful)

The special diet is a blended diet...everything has to be blended to applesauce consistency.  AND, it's 1200 calories one day, 800 calories the next - back and forth.

The funny part is, they gave me a bunch of recipes for meal ideas.  I like a whole ONE of them.  So - for 14 days I will be having the same meal 3 times a day.  The difference between the two calorie days is slight.  Goes from 300 calories a meal for one day and then 175 calories a meal for the next day.

LUckily - I do really like the one meal on the list.

1 cup mandarin oranges, 6 ounces non-fat orange cream yogurt, 1 cup milk - blended together.

the other day

3/4 cup mandarin oranges, 6 ounces non-fat orange cream yogurt, 1/3 cup milk - blended together.

Since I did Body By Vi as one of my attempts at weight loss, I get the blended meal thing.  I know that if I freeze the fruit and then blend it I end up with a smoothie rather than just liquid.  Add a little ice to the mix and it's perfect.

I decided that I would try the blended meal tonight for supper and yep, I do like it!  Not sure what I will think about it after 3 meals a day for 14 days....but I will survive!

So - now the real patience starts....waiting for 3 weeks.  I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!!

The plan is I will update with a picture the day before surgery, then I think monthly after that.  Not just so you can see my progress but so I can see it and have it documented for myself.  I will use that as my encouragement to keep going and stay strong and never look back.

4 comments:

  1. YOU CAN DO IT!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing adventure. I am so excited for you. I will be praying for a successful surgery and ongoing strength for the rest of the journey. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean we will miss your smiling face for the end of the school year or is the time off minimal? Hoping the surgery brings you everything you are hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those 14 days will fly... and all for the greater good! So excited for you, Molly!!

    ReplyDelete