Monday, October 22, 2012

Discovered a "new" food

Wow.  We have found a winner in our house.

Tonight we had baked cod.  We bought frozen whole fillets at Costco.  Why?  Because we thought we needed to start eating a lean fish.  And cod is benign enough that the kids should like it as well.

So Mike thawed out the cod pieces and dredged them lightly in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  Baked them up....DELICIOUS.  Normally when I eat fish I like a tartar sauce or a mayonaise with it.  I was allowed 1 Tablespoon of light mayo in my bubbles.  I used barely any of it.  I loved the fish plain!

The other big winner tonight was the potatoes we made.  In our meeting 2 weeks ago with the dietitian she talked about how people always wanted french fries.  But McDonald's fries, or other fast food fries, are so nasty because of the deep frying.  She told us that we could make our own by simply cutting up potatoes and baking them.

Mike tried it.  HUGE HIT.  And get this, a cup of baked french fries equals one starch or carb bubble.  A CUP.  We usually have 2 carbs for dinner - that's a lot of french fries!  Woo hoo.  We are in heaven.  In fact, after we finished supper and realized that we only had enough fries for each of us to have 1 "bubble", we went in and made some more.  They are in the oven right now!!!  Woo hoo, can't wait until they get done!  :-)

It is so nice to have a food that is tasty and filling...and we can have a lot of!  Hurrah!  Nummy!

Finding out I like yogurt has also been a wonderful find.

Today has been a great food day - oatmeal for breakfast, which filled me up nicely.  Salad for lunch, getting a bit bored with that, may need to try something new.  But it's fairly filling.  And then the nummy cod and french fries for supper, along with some raw cauliflower and broccoli.

So week 2 is off to a great start.  Very exciting.

Today at school was kind of cute.  The kids in one class were talking about what they were bringing for their birthday treats.  One girl told me, "I'm bringing mine next Monday and you love cupcakes so I'll be sure to bring you one."  Two classmates turned to her and said, "She can't have those any more, remember!  Bringing her one would be mean!"  I laughed and laughed.  I told them I appreciated them thinking of me but I am not eating that stuff any more, but it's okay if you forget and bring me something.  I will just tell you nicely that I don't eat that any more but thank you and happy birthday!

Have I mentioned how much I love my job?  Kids are such great people.  They really can be very considerate and caring.  Yes, they can be the opposite at times too, but mostly, they are really pretty cool.  I love my job!

Today was an awesome Monday (and for me to say that - that's huge!).  I hope your Monday was great as well.  I wish you a fabulous week.

No comments:

Post a Comment