Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Support Group #1

Have I mentioned that I am the luckiest woman and wife?

Tonight was my first Bariatric Surgery support group.  This is for people who have had bariatric surgery or who are preparing for it.

I went into this meeting not knowing what to expect.  And my amazing husband agreed to go along with me.

At the meeting tonight were 2 people who had the surgery in September, one who is 3 years out, one who is 6 months out, one who is 1 year out and one like me who is just starting the journey.

Got some great ideas for ways to eat things that are tasty, but good for you.  Found out about a Chocolate Skim Milk that is sweetened with Splenda.  So I am looking forward to finding that and trying it.  They told me that it is so chocolatey many people do half white milk, half this chocolate milk!

Not sure about the powdered peanut butter they told me about - but I will try it and see.

Also got some recipes to try:  White Chocolate Raspberry Mouse, Asian Meatballs and a Pumpkin Bake.  So may try them!

The support group was pretty interesting.  We started the evening by introducing ourselves, telling where in the process we are and then (for those who have had surgery) the best part of having the surgery and the worst part.

Honestly, the 5 people there who have had the surgery had very little negative to say about it.  There were the small recovery issues that you would have after any surgery, but nothing huge.

I especially related to the woman who was 6 months out from surgery.  She talked about how frustrating it is that binge eating or food addiction is not recognized by the world as an eating disorder just like anorexia and bulimia.  We have programs for those diseases, but we don't for food addiction.

She talked about how she is having trouble wrapping her brain around her new body and how she still thinks about those "comfort foods" she would eat.  She talked about how important it is to do the therapy they recommend.  I thought that was very enlightened.

Ok - at this point, I must stop typing and watch the coverage of the election because I am a happy woman voter this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment