Monday, September 24, 2012

Feeling Old

I am 43, going on 44, years old.  But I am really feeling old right now.

When I was a kid, "oldies" music was 1950s music.  I mean seriously - that was OLD music.  And now the music I listened to, and can still sing all the words to, is considered "oldies".

Now how is that fair - I'm only 25 in my heart.

But when I think about it, we considered 50s music as oldies.  I mean come on - my parents danced to it when they were teenagers, that makes it old.

Oops - there is the critical mistake...when they were teenagers = oldies.  Well, by that standard, then 80s music = oldies!  Yikes.

It is homecoming week in Wapello.  To go along with that we have "dress up" days.  Today in both buildings was Cowboy/Camo day.  Lots of hats, boots and invisible people.  (Camo = invisible/hidden)

Tomorrow the elementary school has Pajama day.  Nice.  I've already picked out my favorite pair of pjs and slippers to wear to school.  HOpefully I will stay awake.

At the Jr/Sr High, tomorrow is Costume/Halloween/Superhero day.  This weekend Maggie insisted that we go shopping for items she needed to make her ensembles complete for several of the days.  She said that for Tuesday she was going to wear the same thing as she planned to wear for Halloween.  What does she pick...to look like a 1980s person.  OMG - so we are shopping in a store for items that are like what I wore as a teenager.  I sat in the store holding my head over and over again...she wants to buy a COSTUME to look like a 1980s person.  Seriously - what I and others used to wear is a COSTUME?!?!


I am not saying that I EVER wore a cute little mini skirt like that.  I also never wore the madonna lace gloves - but she is.  But the tank with the off the shoulder shirt - check.  The tennie bopper shoes - check.  The plastic bangles - check.  The knit leg warmers - check.

Tomorrow we will complete the ensemble with a side ponytail and some delightful pink and purple eye shadow done WAY too much as well as the bright stripes of blush!

So I guess life is coming full circle for me.  I would wear a 1950s costume as a kid never realizing that honestly, my parents and others dressed that way.  And now, my daughter is dressing the way we dressed when I was a teenager.  Scary, scary stuff.

Tomorrow Matthew and I will comfortably go to school in our jammies and Maggie will go dressed like a hottie from the 1980s.  I cannot WAIT for Maggie's daughter (30 years from now) to dress "like they did way back in 2012"!!  I look forward to that day and Maggie's dismay that her daughter is calling her clothes from 2012 a costume!  Paybacks will be fabulous!  Love you, Maggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment